My name is Nana. I started drawing crazy designs as a kid when I lived in Armenia.
I studied German in Armenia where I graduated as a Translator in 2010, then I went to Germany to do a Master in Linguistics which I finished in 2012. In 2018 I studied Sustainable Design in Argentina, where my brand was finally born in December of 2019.
I believe that in the world of sustainable fashion design, I was able to find a creative way in my lifestyle to give my contribution towards a better world. This was the reason behind why I started "Alenkie".
The slow fashion movement is my inspiration and what makes my brand special is that it's totally cruelty-free and gentle to touch with all skin types.
I'm focused on designing clothes made with recycled ocean bottles, fishing nets, organic cotton and tencel (lyocell) to make the world a better place.
Brand terminology - Alenkie X The Clothing Lounge
Tencel, Lyocell, Eucalyptus Pulp, Recycled Polyester, Recycled Nylon, Fishing Nets, Plastic Bottles, Organic Cotton, Pineapple Fiber, EcoFashion, Slow Fashion, Recycled Fabrics, Fair Trade, Upcycling, Re-use.
Introduction to Alenkie:
1- Production processes.
The process to make the clothes is incredible. First the design is drawn, then it is made on a recycled fabric and in the end is made with the final fabric, which is also recycled, with all the details perfected. This allows us to have zero waste and use absolutely everything. For our packaging bags the process is the same, we collect the bags from grocery stores, wash them and then make them into bags that can be used over and over again.
Our fabrics are made from recycled or natural materials which are not processed directly at Alenkie. Sustainable fabrics are bought outside the country, from brands like Ecoalf. In order avoid making a negative impact on the environment, with more carbon emissions, every time we travel we bring the fabrics without having to make separate shipments. It is very difficult (almost impossible) to get 100% sustainable fabrics in Argentina, so it is better to bring them and make the clothes here.
Materials we work with:
Organic cotton has the same quality as a conventional cotton but does not make a negative impact on the environment. Some of its incredible benefits are:
- It avoids exposure to toxic substances that cause allergies when they come in contact with the skin.
- Organic cotton allows a greater respect for natural resources and the ecosystem.
- Its production reduces carbon emissions.
- Minimizes the risk to the health of farmers
- Improves food security due to crop rotation.
Tencel is 100% natural fiber obtained from the pulp of eucalyptus wood; its production process is totally ecological. Many of its advantages are:
- Extreme softness to the touch (ideal for the most sensitive skin).
- It absorbs moisture and dries faster than other fibers.
- Regulates body temperature
- Prevents the growth of bacteria and mites.
- It is up to 100 times more resistant to cotton. You can use it as many times as you want.
Recycled nylon is derived from oceanic fishing nets, and this material allows us to:
- Eliminate discards and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in their manufacture.
- Reduce dependence on oil.
- The material is more resistant and elastic
- About 12.6 thousand tons of garbage is removed from the sea
From recycled materials like rPet, its production helps to:
- Reuse plastic bottles or polyester fabrics as raw material, giving them a second life and preventing them from piling up in landfills
- Emission of 75% less CO2 in its manufacture than virgin polyester.
- Recycled polyester does not need new oil for its manufacture, reducing the demand and extraction of this consumable and reducing our environmental footprint.
- For its production, it needs less water and less energy.
3- We are driven by sustainability, upcycling, fair manufacturing and we are proud that all the fabrics in the collection are 100% natural and recycled. ALENKIE is not a trend and is not mass produced. We keep production small to protect the environment by minimizing waste. Simple designs, mostly Oversize, printed in the least harmful way for the planet. These are absolutely modern raw materials and we are aware that fashion cannot be oblivious to the paradigm shift. The collections consist of unique pieces to be appreciated and used over and over again.